Friday, January 20, 2012

Nurture Yourself - New Music From Quiet Company

The members of Quiet Company. 
I thought I would say Happy Friday this week by introducing you to some new music for your weekend listening pleasure.  Hailing from Austin, Texas, one of the great (if not the greatest) music towns in the U.S., Quiet Company was originally formed in 2005, with lead singer Taylor Muse at its helm (Muse was a member of the band Eisley before he joined Q.C.).  They released their first album, Shine Honestly in 2006 and their second Everyone You Love Will Be Happy in 2009. A single from this album, "It's Better To Spend Money Like There's No Tomorrow, Than Spend Tonight Like There's No Money," was nominated for an Independent Music Award and the band was invited to play at the South by Southwest music festival in 2010.  They have also played with many notable acts like The Toadies, Rooney and Evan Dando.  With some similarities to The Decemberists and one of my favorite bands, Death Cab For Cutie, Q.C. has a sound all its own and Muse's melodic voice moves you with its despondency and sincerity.


Their fourth and most recent album, We Are All Where We Belong, was released in November and I've had it on regular repeat over the last several weeks.  Q.C. worked with Tim Palmer (who has worked with Pearl Jam, U2 and The Cure) to mix the album and the result is a truly fantastic record.  The beautifully written lyrics on the majority of the songs exude sadness, regret and are incredibly introspective - all characteristics of the kind of indie rock I love.  Lead singer, Taylor Muse, says about the album: "It is easily the most personal thing I've ever written. It is essentially a break up record, only the romance that's ending was between myself and religion."  On "Set Your Monster Free," Muse is singing to his daughter about his own experiences and encourages her to "make up her own mind, because you don't have to waste your time holding on to beautiful lies."  In "Are You a Mirror?,"my favorite song on the album, he addresses his daughter again and sings:

One day you will look me straight in my eyes. 
And judge me for the things I've been in your life. 
I hope you love me when you know me well. 
I hope you love me when you know me well.
Because I look inside you and see myself
I look inside you and I see myself. 

Many of the lyrics border on tear-jerking and make me think of our favorite Death Cab song, I'll Follow You Into The Dark.  Although he addresses some dark moments in his young life (including the time he nearly killed himself), heartbreak, and loss, this is a moving album that will touch your heart, make you smile, and make you think.


This is the first video off their new album for the track "Fear and Fallacy, Sitting In A Tree." Have a great weekend and I'll see you Monday!

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover